Mar 02, 2023
HISTORY AND BACKGROUND
Pineapple (Ananas comosus) is an incredibly delicious, healthy tropical fruit. This fruit has a tough rind made up of hexagonal units and a fibrous, juicy flesh which may be yellow to white in color. Pineapples may reach 1.5–1.8 m (5–6 ft) in height. Originating in South America, it was named by early European colonisers for its resemblance to a pine cone. The pineapple was brought to Europe by Christopher Columbus.
IMPRESSIVE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Low in calories, loaded with nutrients, like Vitamin C and Manganese.
- High in Fibre
- Contains disease-fighting antioxidants that may reduce risk of heart disease, diabetes and cancer.
- May aid digestion due to the presence of bromelain which is a digestive enzyme that helps breakdown protein.
- May reduce risk of cancer.
- May boost immunity and suppress inflammation.
- Osteoarthritis Relief.
- The bromelain also helps to speed recovery after surgery or strenuous exercise.
- Consuming pineapple at night 30 mins before your dinner can help with having a better sleep as it is high in melatonin.
Easy Ways to Add Pineapple to Your Diet.
- The fresh fruit is easy to find in many grocery stores and markets, even out of season. You can buy it canned, dehydrated, or frozen year-round.
- Breakfast: smoothie with pineapple, blueberry, and Greek yogurt
- Salad: tropical roast chicken, almonds, blueberries, and pineapple atop lettuce or other greens
- Lunch: homemade Hawaiian burgers (beef burgers with a pineapple ring)
- Dinner: pineapple fried rice and seitan
- Dessert: homemade pineapple whip (frozen pineapple chunks blended with a splash of coconut milk and a dash of lemon juice)
Possible Health Risk
Pineapple is widely considered safe, though a small percentage of people may have an allergy to it. People who have diabetes or take blood thinners should be mindful of portion sizes when eating pineapple.
Did You Know?
- A pineapple can take up to 3 years to grow and mature into a plant.
- Only one pineapple is produced by a single plant in a single season
- A pineapple plant can stay alive and continue giving fruits for up to 50 years.
- 75% of all pineapples sold in Europe are grown in Costa Rica
- You can grow pineapple plants by slicing off the top of a pineapple and planting it in soil.
- The pineapple symbol represents warm welcomes, celebration and hospitality.
To ripen your too-green pineapple, place it in a paper bag. Placing a banana in the bag, as well will speed up the process. The bag traps ethylene gas, emitted by the fruit and accelerates ripening.
Aafiyah Healing Community is open for registration!
A community dedicated to supporting you in your healing journey!